Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Om, BART, Blue V, Fear is the Path to the Darkside, Gandalf

I have found peace and relaxation in chanting. Below is an excerpt from a Yoga Journal article.


Many believe the mantra "Om" to be the sound of the universe. Om is traditionally chanted at the beginning and end of yoga sessions. It is an acknowledgment that the universe around us is constantly moving — the setting sun, the rising moon, the ebb and flow of the tides, the beating of our hearts.

Ancient yogis used Om to recognize this never-ceasing movement and seek oneness with the universe. Chanting it is meant to resonate that movement throughout the breath, awareness, and energy to reveal a more powerful connection with the universe. - Yoga Journal


Yesterday a good friend drove us into the city, San Francisco. We dropped our vehicle off near a Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station and drove in the car pool lane all the way into the city. When UCSF had finished their work with me, my friend dropped my folks and I off at the BART station and we had a nice ride into Lafayette BART and we picked up our car.


My visits started off with an hour and a half long MRI and MRS (Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy) at the UCSF China Basin Clinic. The Valium I took before my MRI tube ride was nice. The MR machine had a little window so I think the "Blue V" helped the passage of time and helped me tolerate the clanking of the machine easier. The hour and a half in the tight, little tube was easy and relaxing.


Jane (my RN) gave me more information about follow up visits and drugs up on the hill on Parnassus Road. We also talked about my schedule. The University of California, San Francisco has been very good to me.


"Fear is the path to the dark side... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate.. hate leads to suffering.", Yoda. I am very comforted to have no fear. I believe I am going to have fun with the chemotherapy and 33 radiation treatments. "I am ready as well I should be. For my ally is Life Force Energy (Prana). And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...(Yoda pinches Luke’s shoulder)... not this crude matter." I took a little liberty with the quote but the love and prayers I feel from all of you give me tremendous strength. Thank you. I have learned to tap into the goodness that surrounds us as well. The goodness of an old, growth, Douglass Fir Tree. The goodness of a well constructed mountain trail. The goodness of the beautiful, powerful, McKenzie River. The love of my two wonderful German Shepherd Dogs. I am blessed to be driving past Mount Shasta tomorrow. Life is good.


The Willamette Valley Cancer Center (WVCC) called me yesterday. They are already ready to schedule my radiology treatments. I also heard from my WVCC dietitian and she is ready to schedule me for an appointment. I will arrange appointments tomorrow on the road. The WVCC has been awesome and have given me great comfort and confidence in their abilities.


I am not checking out of this human life for at least a few more decades but I love this scene in "Lord of the Rings, Return of the King".


Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way.

Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path . . . one that we must all take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass...

Gandalf: ...And then you see it.

Pippin: What, Gandalf? See what?

Gandalf: White shores . . . and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise.

Pippin: Well, that isn't so bad.

Gandalf: No... No it isn't.


Be well,

Jack

No comments: