Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Aloha, Day Zero, Excercise Plan, Dr. ES Rotella, Muhammad Ali, Big Trouble in Little China, Dog Door, Holiday Decorating, Inclusiveness

Aloha good people!

I experienced Day Zero of radiation treatments yesterday with the highly skilled radiation technologists of the Willamette Valley Cancer Center (WVCC). I was fitted with the mask that leaves my entire face with a very fine, waffle pattern after 15 minutes of being clamped into the mask. This mask is so very, very tight that swallowing is an effort and I cannot open my mouth to speak. I can utter my customary grunts and acknowledgments.

I trust my caregivers. My attitude is that I am WVCC's astronaut and my WVCC caregivers are "Mission Control". The mask needs to fit very tight and not allow my head to move a millimeter because we are doing a precise dance with very powerful mojo near precious tissues inside my skull including my brain. How cool and powerful is that! I did not receive any radiant beams of heavenly grace yesterday but WVCC took some pictures and X-rays and made some topographical marks on my mask. Today, Tuesday, December 18, 2007 will be Day 1 of radiation therapy. I am stoked!

Yesterday was day 1 of chemotherapy. I took my two pills of Enzastaurin as directed with my anti emetic perfectly as directed immediately after dinner. Exactly an hour later I took my four pills of Temozolomide as directed. I am drinking lots of water. I feel good with no ill effects. I swear, I do seem to feel something inside my head and it is not thought, it is not pain, it is not worrisome. I think the love and drugs are chasing the rebel, glial cells away. Thank you good people and the universe for the love.

I met with my most excellent nutritionist and WVCC social worker yesterday. My nutrition plan is going to be very simple. A well balanced diet with an emphasis on raw, natural fruits and vegetables. I know, you are all concerned that Jack may not be getting enough artificial flavors and artificial coloring in his diet. Get over it. I will be getting plenty of protein in my diet and some fat as well. I like food and I should be putting on some muscle now that I am exercising again. My exercise plan is stationary bike riding, yoga, and martial arts. I would like to exercise between 10 and 20 hours per 7 day week. Rest is also important and I am going to rest and exercise very instinctually.

I met with my most excellent Rehabilitation Medicine Physician, Dr. ES Rotella. Dr. Rotella has been treating me since my bicycle crash in June that left me living with the good people of St. Charles Medical Center in Bend, Oregon for 4 days and 3 nights. Dr. Rotella is releasing me back to work this Thursday on a reduced schedule. Dr. Rotella's schedule ever so slightly less aggressive than the schedule I had outlined. However, I trust Dr. Rotella and I believe with everything that I am that there is wisdom in Dr. Rotella's plan. I may make slightly less coin while I get back up to working speed but my priority is healing. When it comes to work my priorities in the following order are safety, fun, and then getting work done. I will elaborate on safety, fun, and getting stuff done in a future post and in the suitable for publishing or movie making story, "The Awakening 2007". I think Clint Eastwood and Robert Redford make good movies. I think I will give them a shot at making a way cool film. Perhaps Tom Cruise will play me in the lead role and this most excellent actor will finally get his Academy Award Winning Role.

I spoke with a good friend of mine from my early days in Oregon when I used to work for Peace Health in Eugene, Oregon. Akasha Fjord always could find Jack's "happy button". She would often skillfully push Jack's happy button like Muhammad Ali would flick out jabs and right hands faster than Jack can blink.

I spoke with Akasha the other day and had some good laughs. Akasha did a Flamenco Dance all over Jack's happy button in Akasha's ensuing, follow up email. Akasha instigated Jack to quote one of the best movies of all time, John Carpenter's "Big Trouble in Little China". This excellent movie stars Kurt Russell and is filled with snappy dialog and funny scenes. I highly recommend this movie to everyone over the age of 13 and Akasha has abetted me into sharing just a few of the memorable quotes.

Jack Burton: Now I'm not saying that I've been everywhere and I've done everything, but I do know it's a pretty amazing planet we live on, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we're alone in THIS universe.

Jack Burton: What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means.

Jack Burton: I feel pretty good. I'm not... I'm not scared at all. I feel kind of... feel kind of invincible.
Wang Chi: Me, too. I've got a very positive attitude about this.
Jack Burton: Good, me too.

Jack Burton: Like I told my last wife, I said, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes."

Egg Shen: It will come out no more!
Jack Burton: What? HUH? What will come out no more?

Dad and I built a dog door on Sunday afternoon. Dad did a great job designing the door way, following directions, cutting the custom pieces of lumbar, and assisting me as I jig sawed, Sawsalled, and Makita, 19.2 volt, chordless screwed my way to dog door heaven. Mojo and Salena love their new dog door and will be happier and warmer in their dens this winter now that there is a proper dog door with a flap instead of a wide open she door letting cold and dampness into their dog room.

Mom and I hung lights on the tree and decorated it on Sunday. It turned out very cute. We also refilled my 7 candle, candle holder, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_the_number_7_become_the_most_popular_lucky_number.
My holiday theme is very festive and pioneer rugged. I think my red, shotgun shell garland and Rainbow Trout string of lights are good examples of my theme. My decorated tree and 9 candle, brass, candle holder are examples of the inclusiveness I am embracing through the holiday season and all year round. This link has a nice comparison of various religious and spiritual faiths that celebrate around the time of the winter solstice, http://www.religioustolerance.org/winter_solstice.htm.

Peace and Love Good Will Towards All,

Jack Burton

1 comment:

Unknown said...

3 and 4 year old hugs and kisses sent to Uncle Jack from NZ.