Monday, November 3, 2008

Livestrong Update: Non - Cavalier Brain Surgery on November 14 – I Feel Strong

Livestrong Update – Thank you for fighting cancer with me. We ended up raising $3,085 for the fight against cancer. The entire Austin Livestrong Challenge raised something over $3.5 million and I am proud, pleased, and happy with our contribution.

My 90 mile ride was off the pace I wanted to finish in but I showed I finished in 5 hours, 30 minutes and 46 seconds ride time. I have not done much group road riding and never fell into a good pace line so my riding was just about all solo wind breaking.

I had a very powerful feeling of connectedness during the ride and entire event. I feel we are all in this fight together. Thank you for fighting cancer.

I an happy with the biking skills I have learned riding with the Disciples of Dirt mountain biking group. I have not been bicycling training as much as when I was before being challenged by glioblastoma multiforme (most malignant form of primary brain cancer). The grand mal seizure I had in yoga class on July 12, 2008, and brain surgery on August 4, gave me about 30 calendar days and 22 riding days for the 90 mile ride. I practiced mostly breathing, and efficient peddle stroke, muscle memory, and honoring my heart and my brain.

The Austin Livestrong Challenge Ride on October 26 is turning out to be a training ride for my Right Temporal Craniotomy on Friday, November 14, 2008 at the University of California Medical Center, San Francisco. I feel strong. My third brain surgery within a year is inconvenient when training for something like the Cream Puff 100, Mountain Bike Race in early July 2009. I found out on Thursday, November 23 while in the truck with Dave McKnight that brain surgery would be scheduled most likely on November 17 after an MRI on the 14th. When I got back to California I heard from my surgeon and we have decided to put me on a steroid that may clear up swelling or fluid in my brain. The steroid may give us a clearer view with the MRI and then the doctors will do their doctor stuff. How cool! This is my third craniotomy within a year! I feel the strongest and fittest, mentally, spiritually, and physically, for this surgery than my two previous surgeries.

I am strong. I trust my doctors. I have wonderful support. I have two, lovely German Shepherd Dogs I walk daily. How lucky am I! I have been blessed with the opportunity to fight a bad ass disease and we get to use clever, new tactics to win the fight against cancer! We also are using techniques that have been proved by the test of time. As I have said over and over and over again, “Better is the Enemy of Good.”, Voltaire. We are using good how we can and using our creative, open minds, to find a solution to the “incurable” cancer. I am doing my part. I am keeping my being strong as best I know how to and I have humbled myself to listen to my health care givers, supporters, and other advisors. I believe and trust that people know stuff and do have my best interest at heart much of the time. I have learned that the internet has much information that is more akin to what I pick up after my dogs on our walks than actually factual or useful in any way. “A lie told often enough becomes truth” Vladimir Lenin.

I find that mindfully being aware of the fun I am having on my bicycle, how wonderful it is to feel the wind in my hair, sweat on my body, and life in my being distracts me from discomfort. Mindfully varying riding position on long rides helps with riding comfort and riding pleasure as well. Being a yogi, I do have a mantra I use that gets me out of my head and into my body while riding.

Peace and Love,
Jack Burton "It takes love, courage or genius to make things smaller, simpler, or peaceful."

No comments: