Monday, September 1, 2008

Stung by a bee, Going to UCSF, Everyday I am becoming less and less, Wolf, Machiavelli, Reptilian Brain

Aloha,

Sunday I went to a concert in the park and enjoyed a picnic with my folks and a couple of friends. I was sitting in my lounge chair enjoying a piece of chicken and, "Yow!!!!!". I spit out a yellow jacket onto my plate and I had a stinger that felt like a splinter stuck on the left side of my upper, soft palate. Man, did that bee sting hurt! I called out to my mom, "Mom, I just got stung in the mouth by a bee." I dug into my left, front pants pocket and pulled out a Gerber, mini-pliers my ex-girlfriend's parents bought me for my birthday a few years back. I asked my mom if she would mind pulling out the stinger being careful not to damage the good work my wonderful dentist has done in my mouth. My mom had me lay down on my poncho liner and she pulled out the stinger without chipping any teeth or damaging any golden or porcelain crowns.

I am not allergic to bees but I was not sure how the bee sting would interact with the anti-seizure drugs I am taking. I did not want to surprise anyone in case my tongue swelled to the size of a foot ball. My soft palate swelled a little but I was able to breathe just fine. The chicken was good and much tastier than the yellow jacket.

One of my fondest memories I have while being in the woods is when I was fly fishing for salmon in Ketchikan Alaska. I had gotten on the stream just about sunrise and I walked up on a wolf in the wild within about 50 yards. I was able to check him out for about 2 or three minutes before he noticed another angler was using the stream to fish for salmon. He was a little embarrassed that I had seen him first and he scampered up into the forest. The next morning about the same time, I saw the wolf again. This time, he got the drop on me even though I was being careful to be quiet and stealthy. Again the wolf scampered up into the forest but somehow, he seemed satisfied that I had not snuck up on him successfully.

Everyday, in every way, I seem to be becoming less and less of an invalid.

Today I go to UCSF and tomorrow I should find out some information about my schedule for the next couple of months and what transpired in my surgery.

"Never was anything great achieved without danger.", Niccolo Machiavelli

I am living proof that a man can do just fine on only a reptilian brain. Well, at least I am still exchanging O2 and CO2.

Peace and Love,
Jack

No comments: