Thursday, September 4, 2008

Please help me raise $350 for the LIVESTRONG Challenge, Bees!, Disciples of Dirt

Aloha!

I plan on flying out to Austin Texas about October 23rd to visit a good friend I first met at Ft. Kobbe in Panama in 1983. This good man knows me very well and we are still friends after a quarter of a century!

I asked my Dr. for permission and I am getting myself in shape for the LIVESTRONG Challenge in Austin on October 25-26, 2008. Please Donate here, https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=262612&lis=0&kntae262612=8F5A9955DC954AB0BAD28F5F187EDA26.This is what the “canned” letter looks like from the LIVESTRONG website,

“It’s been five years since I was diagnosed with cancer. When I found out, I was scared, angry and worried for my family and myself. As I experienced treatment, the side effects, the emotional ups and downs, the more I grew determined to beat the disease. I did not want to let cancer take away my health, my hope or my life.

More than 10 million Americans are currently living with cancer, and more than 1.3 million people in the U.S. will be diagnosed with cancer this year alone. It’s time for us to do something about this. We must unite to make cancer a national priority. The LIVESTRONG Challenge provides us with an opportunity to do just that.

In honor of my own personal battle with cancer and the millions of people affected, I will be riding my bike 40 miles in Austin, TX on October 26, 2008. I have committed to raise at least $250 for the Lance Armstrong Foundation which was founded in 1997 by cancer survivor and champion cyclist, Lance Armstrong, to inspire and empower people affected by cancer.

I know I can do this with the support of friends like you. Would you please consider making a donation? You can donate online at http://austin08.livestrong.org/xxx (use personal webpage here).

Thank you in advance for your time and generosity. I’ll keep you updated on my fundraising and training progress as I prepare for the event.”


Sincerely,”

The minimum I (Jack) need to raise is $350 and I believe we can do that. I am doing the 90 mile ride because it is the longest and merely a training ride for the rides I do with my mountain biking friends in the virtual mountain biking club, the Disciples of Dirt. I do get together with the DOD in reality for volunteer work on National Forest Trails and for some epic, fun, mountain bike rides and races. I have been hammering away at cancer this year and have not been on the trails much for work or for fun. Thank you for your support. My mom is finding me a cheap plane flight and I may have enough miles from going back and forth to UCSF Medical Center from Oregon every month for close to a year now.

Bees! Whenever I start pontificating about politics my parents have learned to let loose bees in my vicinity in order to keep my mouth shut. It is a highly effective technique to get me to stop yakking and start listening. “Seek first to understand, then to be understood.”, Dale Carnegie.

Peace and Love,
--Jack "It takes love, courage or genius to make things smaller, simpler, or peaceful."

No comments: